Monday, January 21, 2019

SJSU- Women of Sparta !



There have been a few posts in the past on the men's program at SJSU, this time around I believe it is time for the women of Sparta to get the spot light. Even though the program has it's beginnings from several years ago it wasn't till recently that a revival and dedication from a few have now began to have this program blossoming and booming with participation numbers. Tiffany Lopez, current club president and fullback was gracious enough to answer some questions for LLR. I hope you all enjoy and fallow these remarkable women on their journey because soon they  will be Eagles! 


How did you find rugby ?
- I asked a friend of mine (previous president) If she could send me her game schedule so I can watch a game or two and she invited me to practice. It took me a week or so to get the courage to go and try it. After trying my first practice, I instantly fell in love with the sport. I spent most of my time watching All Blacks and Eagles videos and reading the rules of the game.

When did the club start?
The club was originally founded over a decade ago, however, it did not survive past the original team. in 2017, a student decided she wanted to revive it. The club was not able to take off with a team of 15 let alone a full roster of 23. Last year, we struggled to make 15 again but decided that we want to get this program fired up and ready to take on our conference. We currently have 39 girls rostered on USA Rugby for our team.

What conference does the team play in ?
West Coast Division II Women's Conference

Any team traditions worth sharing?
None yet. However, we are establishing a great foundation for our program now.

How is recruitment of new players every year?
Our hopes are to have at least 10-15 new players every year, especially after we started with 5 returning players and now have 39 on the team this year.



Is there a dedicated field for the women's rugby team to play on ?
Unfortunately not. Our club sports are given half of the School's Football field to practice on for our designated days and times, which we are very grateful for, however, we do have limited time to set up and take down when it comes to Game Days. We are booked up with a few other sports. This can cause a bit of panic and chaos for our team as we try to mentally and physically prepare on game day.

What's some struggles the team faces ?
Because our team is new, we work really hard to make a name for ourselves. We have to spend a lot of time reaching out to other organizations, individuals and students to support our team whether it be financially, fanatically or socially. We like to volunteer and spend some of our free time helping out other organizations in order to show our community that the SJSUWRC understands the humility, humbleness and sacrifice it takes on and off the field to become a great rugby player and athlete.

What has been some highlights for yourself and the team since you have been with them ?
One of my biggest highlights was winning our division at a Sevens Tournament held at CSUMB at the end of our season. We played some tough teams, yet were able to come out victoriously. We worked every day, some days twice a day, to get ourselves better conditioned and better equipped to play. Our team bonding and hard work seemed to pay off. After that, our 5 returning players, including myself, decided to make this year the bets year that SJSUWRC has ever had.

What is your opinion on the status of women's rugby in the US?
I think it is becoming a bigger thing now. Before, I know that female rugby players are naturally labelled as masculine and barbaric. But I think that unfair opinion is now slowly dying out. I have spent the past 20 years in physical sports while competing and winning nationally for Taekwondo with 15 years and collegiately for Judo. I have been lucky to have supportive peers, family and coaches in my life that encouraged my siblings and I to be strong athletes and love what we do just like any other male athlete. This is what I want for my program. To encourage all women, no matter your age, sexual orientation, identity, religious preference or lifestyle.

What would you like to see done to further the game for all levels of female players?
I would love to see more social awareness of local clubs. All of these clubs have so much to offer for boys and girls of all ages. In my hometown area, we have a few clubs not to far, however, you do not see many young girls playing. I think it would be great to share the culture and support that rugby has to offer in order to empower other young women to pursue whatever may come during or after rugby, as well.

Is there one particular player you would like to meet and why ?
I had the opportunity to briefly meet Porsha Woodman after the 2018 World Cup in San Francisco. Luckily after I volunteered for the event, I was chosen to be a part of the awards ceremonies for each winning team. I follow her on Social Media and think she is a fantastic rugby player on and off of the field. She shows so much mana, and positive pride that helps to encourage young women that we can face injury and setbacks, yet still come back and come out stronger than before. Her and her team, the Black Ferns, often give back to their community and show how appreciative for the love and support they receive.

How can people follow you and the women of Sparta rugby club?
We have a Facebook page: www.facebook.com/sjsuwrc and 
Instagram: @sjsu_womensrugby



Final closing words, any opinions, thoughts or heads up to pass along to the public?
At first I was apprehensive about the commitment and joining after I already retired my athletic career in Taekwondo after 15 years of competing. However, I decided that I wanted to give it a go. This was the best choice I made in college. I met new friends who are now family. Some times new doors open in life and you ahem to take advantage while they are still open. 

No comments:

Post a Comment