Sunday, January 30, 2022

Young Slug




    When I played rugby during my brief time at San Jose State University there was always one game we looked forward to. No matter how the season went, it was the rivalry match with University California Santa Cruz. But with that I never really had a opportunity to speak with a player from the opposition let alone learn a bit about the rugby program at UC Santa Cruz.  I am very lucky to able to get in contact with this year's captain of the Santa Cruz rugby club. Jackson who is a a junior at the college was able to give some info on the club, his own career thus far and his thoughts on who will win this year's MLR shield. Hope you all enjoy. 



LLR- Can you please share with us your rugby playing career up to now?


J- I first started playing rugby my freshman year of high school for the Marin Highlanders. I played for the JV my first year and we barely had enough kids to field a team. Now I play for the UCSC men's team with enough guys to put out two sides, so it's a blessing to have that kind of depth to practice and play with.



LLR- How did you get into rugby?


J- I got into rugby after my football teammates begged me to come out and try it. I got one practice in to figure out the rules and then played my first game against Lamorinda two days later.





LLR- Many people may not know about the UCSC rugby club, can you share with us a brief history on the club?

J- The rugby club is the oldest club and sport at UC Santa Cruz. We have alumni still helping the club that were part of the first team in 1967. We play in the PACWEST conference.
 

LLR- There is a pretty heated rivalry with San José state rugby, do you have any memories that stick out from any of those game ?

J- There's always been a rivalry between us and SJSU, we play for the Macbeath-Porter cup, named after the founder of UCSC and SJSU's first coach, but I've never played in the game. My freshman year our B side played them and lost in a close match and my sophomore year it didn't take place because of COVID, so this year I'm extremely excited to get after it.






LLR- How is recruitment done on campus and for incoming players?


J- At UCSC, our coaches and some players handle outreach to clubs that we have connections with or have played for. We can sometimes help players get into the school and if not we can certainly help them find a place that's right for them. Other than that, we have a big club day on campus where we recruit the bulk of our new players, with experience levels ranging from veteran to complete newbie. 



LLR- If you had a chance to speak with high school and youth students, what would you say to them to get them to not only come to UC Santa Cruz but join the rugby team?


J- UCSC is certainly a special place. I understand it's not for everyone, but I will say that you are guaranteed a team who is going to welcome any guy who is willing to commit and work hard. If you can do that, you'll have a strong community of people who look after you. We're not a team with clicks and separate groups. We work towards a common goal together. The rugby community in particular is one that celebrates the game and having fun, rather than wins and losses, even if we do want to win. 



LLR- Lastly, who do you fallow in the MLR and who are your two teams playing for the shield this season?


J- I got the Gillitini's taking it home again over the Warriors. Gotta root for the West Coast!





*This Q&A is out after the Macbeth-Porter Cup played on 1/29/22. Score was 
UCSC 57 - 17 SJSU 

If you would like to fallow and learn more about the rugby club at UC Santa Cruz please fallow them on Twitter @MensSlugRugby and also on Instagram @ucscmensrugby





*if you know of a club or player you'd like to be featured on here please email @ llrugby@yahoo.com or reach out via any social media platforms,  Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment