Monday, August 17, 2015

Rugby supports Autism.


Even though it has been some time since my last post, and it seems like I am not doing anything but reposting videos do know I am very busy and well aware of the rugby scene going on right now in America. some tid bits before I continue with why I am originally writing this.

1- YES a Americas 6 nations would be amazing. even if Argentina wont put there full side when they play it still gives USA and Canada much more needed games to get players ready for when it is time for WC qualifying and WC matches down the road. instead of always guess how many test games USA will play each year we can now say 5 from 6nations, plus 4 or 5 from PNC your looking at 9-10 test matches a year mixed in at lest 1 Tier 1 nation tour. far better improvement of amount of games for USA rugby then how it was 5 or 10 years ago. I also like the fact that there is talk and hopefully plans to get a 2nd division side going at the same time with plans to have promotion and relegation , this will also get other national teams in the Americas more games to play and in whole 5 to 10 years down the road make both north and south America a far better region of rugby being played then in other parts of the world.

2-Todd Clever, where do I start or what can I say. I was deeply and still somewhat upset what had happened and what Has been reported. For me Todd was my rugby hero and for many local bay area kids a rugby god. we can all agree that yes he was reaching his end and we all knew the time was coming but I think we all thought this would be his last World Cup and then go into retirement.

3- with all this talk and hints of a professional rugby league starting soon USA rugby better make a announcement soon , pre world cup to at lest 6 months after, or else they'll start to lose support from general rugby public who will be tired of hearing the possible news over and over and over again. but when ever it does happen I will be sitting here waiting to see what cities will have a team and pick my new professional team to support!

To the main reason why I  am posting a new post in quite some time. This coming Sunday my family and I will be participating in a Walk Now For Autism in Portland, OR. Our oldest daughter who is now 5 was diagnosed with being Autistic , Asperger's to be exact. It has been a struggle and very frustrating and continues to be since we where told, many places will not provide help with services for her because she is not sever enough, she was placed as a mild autistic child but on the border of sever. last year we participated in the walk that took place in Sacramento , CA. it was amazing to meet and speak with other parents and children who where on the same level as our daughter and to those who where going through the something and to able to let our daughter play and run around with out having to worry about others starring or whispering what's wrong with our child had a big sigh of relief. There is one thing we have noticed about our daughter and that is she likes rugby. when she was just a baby she would sit next to me and watch matches on TV. when I coached she liked being on the sideline and a few months ago I participated in my university alumni game which she enjoyed watching and would run over to me after each break in between matches, it was a series of 7s games amongst our self's.

 I have been wanting to fuse both the sport I love and advocate for people like my daughter for quite sometime now but didn't know just how to, a few months ago I created the Rugby supports Autism shirt where if you wish to support and bring attention to the Autism society. All Proceeds of the shirt will go to the Autism Society of America while all donations for my family's walk will go to the Autism Speaks. If you are interested about the shirt ( posted below) please feel free to contact me @ llrugby@yahoo.com if you wish to donate the click here----> Autism walk


* side note, me and my family each have a shirt and they fit great, and will be wearing them during our walk. also it is a goal of mine to hopefully 2-3 years from now be able to start a after school program of touch/flag rugby for kids of all ages who are on the autistic spectrum a chance to participate in a team sport and learn key communication skills and others here in Oregon. but that's down the road and something I am beginning to now just look into and build.

No comments:

Post a Comment