Sunday, March 10, 2024

The 408 BISON

    A few years back I did an amazing interview with a player from San Jose, CA. more specifically from the Overfelt High School Royals Girls rugby club. Julissa was one of my favorite players to interview at the time and I was so elated when she said yes to doing another Q&A. Only this time she has graduated from high school and is no attending Howard University, at the time of the last interview Howard was her dream school to get into, and is now making a name for her self amongst the heard and representing not just the Royals but the 408 on the east coast. Although still holding out hope for a call from Las Serpientes , Mexico Rugby National Team, a phone call from USA Rugby would not be ignored and in fact welcomed. I truly hope you call take the time to read about catching up with Julissa or maybe its your first time. Either way I hope you all enjoy and feel a bit more closer to an amazing human and rugby player destined to make a difference. 

*there will also be a Spanish translation coming soon.

VAMOS HOWARD!



LLRHow has the adjustment been moving from the west coast to the east coast?

JDA- Initially, moving across the nation to DC alone was a challenging experience, both mentally and literally. However contrary to my expectations, leaving my family behind at the airport was not difficult at all. My excitement to start anew in a large city ridden with culture and history dominated my hesitation to leave the West Coast behind. Dragging 4 suitcases through the airport was no easy task, but when I finally arrived in DC, as I drove to my dorm and took my first glance at the brick-built streets of Howard, I knew I would it would become my home. Initially, I did have difficulty navigating the shops in DC after I realized I was missing a few items needed for my dorm. During my first-ever trip to the grocery store, I got lost and ended up at an abandoned Walmart in the pouring rain. I’ve never been too good with directions, so becoming familiar with the streets and public transportation was an incredibly effortful task, but out of need, eventually, I pushed myself to develop my independence and knowledge of DC well over time. Another thing is that when people say the East is cold, believe them! I had to expand my entire wardrobe as a sun-loving Californian and adjust to the harsh weather as fall came to an end. I even got to experience snow in DC and eventually, I learned to appreciate the weather for the unique experience it was. The last major adjustment I had to make while moving from the West to the East was making new friends. All my old friends remained back home in the West, so for a while I was lonely, but luckily, I made several special bonds with my rugby teammates and over time about two solid friends outside of my teammates. It may not seem like much, but to me, this close and dedicated group of friends is all I could ever ask for in life! Moving has definitely brought its set of challenges, but it's nothing I couldn’t adapt to with patience, determination, and most importantly, time! 


LLR- What's been the one thing you miss from home and one thing you've grown to like the most from being at Howard?


JDA- I desperately miss the Mexican street food and my friends back home! In San Jose, you can find tacos, esquites, and tamales anywhere for a good price. In DC you have to struggle to find any Mexican/Hispanic food place to begin with and when you do, the food is incredibly expensive and tastes inauthentic. It's what I like to call American Mexican food. A single decent Birria taco is $5-6 out here its rough man… Aside from the food I also miss my friends and family, especially my sisters and cousins who would hear me out no matter what the topic was or what time I needed them. I know they are just one call away but it's still not the same. I always see my friends hanging out experiencing college together and having fun nights out, I only wish I was there to share the moment with them. I miss training with my old teammates and catching up with my high school coaches as well. I still keep in touch of course, but I would say those are the things I miss the most from back home. The thing I love the most here at Howard has to be the rugby team! I was so excited to meet the team and soon the faces I saw on HUWRC’s Instagram during my high school years were no longer strangers’ faces, but instead the faces of my new friends and teammates. We play with such passion and everyone helps each other when they can mentally and physically. We aren’t just a team of individual players but a bonded unit with something to prove. I couldn’t be happier with them by my side, they are the highlight of my experience!



LLR- What are you currently majoring in?


JDA- I am a student at Howard University majoring in political science on the pre-law track. My undergraduate goal is to graduate with a 4.0 and go to a prestigious graduate school to either become a corporate lawyer or a trial attorney. My vision is to use my knowledge of business and law to find creative ways of giving back to the community without running into legal issues. I want to be able to build sustainable companies dedicated to helping and defending low-income communities and ultimately using my political background to run for office. I have always had a passion for helping those in need. In previous years I have planned community service events and fundraisers, expanded rugby in our community, and took on various leadership roles throughout high school (and soon in college). However, I do wish to make a more institutionalized change through legislation that accurately represents BIPOC's needs in office as a lawyer, politician, and unwavering ally. At the end of the day, I work for the people and I live for the people! That is why I study what I do.



LLR- In starting your collegiate playing career what's been the biggest difference from high school club to college club level?


JDA- The biggest difference between playing with a high school team and having a college career in rugby was that the flexibility surprisingly increased and training became more skill-based rather than being rooted in basics. When you go to play college rugby, the coaches and team will expect you to have some sort of knowledge of the sport. However, if you don’t, they do go over the basics at the beginning of fall, they just don’t dwell on them during the spring season. Playing fifteens is also the norm in college and I am so grateful to have gotten some experience in my last season of rugby during high school (we were mostly a 7’s and 10’s team until then). Our coaches here at Howard University expect accountability but are very understanding of a student's college life and the hardships that follow them. Often Coach Lele and Coach Mac will allow us to take a break to catch up on grades, work, or just to have a mental health day when needed. They are mindful of the weather, avoiding practices in the rain, snow, or other harsh settings that could get us sick. However, that is exactly why when we can train, we are expected to give 100 percent on the field and go hard! In HS the focus was to get us to the next level: college and international opportunities. That is why we trained in the pouring rain, during breaks, and in the summer focused on basics with a full commitment to better ourselves. I am not saying college rugby is less intense, quite the opposite, the level of skill it takes to play a game as well as the stakes placed on them become much higher, however, in college we are adults with responsibilities to take care of, so leniency and accountability becomes a huge part of your development as a rugby player over time.



LLR- What can you tell me about your team at Howard University ?


JDA- Howard Womens Rugby Club (HUWRC) is an incredibly hardworking and impressive rugby team that was founded just 3 years ago by our amazing president Takunda Rusike. It is full of passionate and talented young women who are proud to be black athletes and an inspiration to all minorities aspiring to play rugby at the collegiate level. As an underrepresented demographic of players in the rugby community, our team is honored to pave a path for future generations of color and we will continue to redefine history every time we put on our cleats. Within 2 years of existing, HUWRC became D2 East Coast champions (Spring 2023), the number 1 capital conference, and earned D2 second place nationwide (Spring 2023)! HUWRC fought tooth and nail for those titles, not as glorified individuals, but as a singular respect-commanding unit. Our hardworking Coaches; Coach Lele, Coach Mac, Coach Sully, Coach Scout, Coach KB, and Coach Tyler put in the hours to plan skillful workouts, complex gameplays, and endurance training to better our abilities as athletes. Our managers Arabella, Kyandall, and Brianna help make our practices/games more organized and effortless behind the scenes. Lastly, my teammates all contribute something valuable and special to our team. Takira is our spirited rucker, Janeece speeds up the game, and Gabby is always reliable. Takunda is our leader, Shylynn is impossible to tackle, and Kam is our loud wildcard. Seniors enjoy playing their last few games, while rookies prepare to play their first. We are all in different stages of our lives but bonded one and the same! Coaches, managers, Eboard, and athletes all contribute to the HUWRC legacy and soon, after we score a ticket to D1 Nationals, we hope to secure the opportunity of becoming the first HBCU NCAA D1 Women’s Rugby team! 




LLR- Is the aspiration to dawn an USA eagle jersey still or has that changed ?


JDA- Should the opportunity to try out for the Eagles present itself to me I would definitely give it my best shot! Their standards are incredibly high, but with enough hard work, dedication, and experience, I don’t believe it to be too far out of reach. However, my heart lies with representing HWRC and my Mexican roots with Las Serpientes, Mexico’s international women's rugby team. Hopefully, by the end of this year, I will have participated in one of their professional U19 tournaments as tryouts seem to be just around the corner!


LLR- Favorite female rugby player?


JDA- Portia Woodman from the Black Ferns is by far my biggest inspiration in rugby. She absolutely dominates the pitch and made a household name for herself in a male-dominated sport and industry. Woodman is a leading try-scorer in the World Series for a reason! She trains hard, drives through people, and scores consistently. Although she is not the biggest on the field, she is one of the most feared, and an inspiration to smaller rugby players like me. I want to be able to single-handedly lift opponents on my shoulder as she does and be a reliable teammate who will not let you down no matter the opposing team's skill or size. I hope to become as great as Portia Woodman someday, but until then I will keep watching her and stay motivated to work toward that level of rugby respect and honor!


LLR- If you could play overseas for any club, which would it be? 


JDAI’m not too sure I honestly haven’t thought about it much. I don’t know much about rugby club teams overseas, but should I ever feel the urge or have an opportunity to join a high-intensity disciplined team I will do so and continue my rugby journey well into my older years.




LLR- What position are you playing while at Howard?


JDA- Currently, I am a utility player (my position varies as needed) and by the end of this spring season, I should have 5 positions under my belt! In my previous years of high school experience, I only played as a back, utilizing my speed usually as a wing or a fullback. This year I was introduced to scrumhalf and flank, and eventually, I will also learn to hook. Out of the five, I am still a fullback at heart, but scrummy is a close second! I am very excited to get experienced with the forwards as tackling is one of my favorite aspects of rugby gameplay! I may be small but after being subbed in as a flank these last few games I’ve gotten quite comfortable in the scrums and defensive line, as well as confident in my ability to support my teammates on the pitch. I’ve earned a reputation for not being scared to tackle people twice my size and earned Rookie of the Year for my contribution last fall season. With age, hard work, and time I hope to solidify a starting position on the roster, but until then I’ll continue to learn as many positions as possible and be useful to my team in whatever way I can!



LLR- Will you be at the 2033 women's world cup on American soil as a player or fan? 

JDA- In all honesty, I would probably be on the soil as a fan and I wouldn’t mind at all. I would be practicing law, busy with politics, and realistically not have much time to train to the American Eagles standard, however, guarantee I will have the best seats money can buy! Should I be blessed enough to ever play a World Cup in my life I would consider my athletic life forever fulfilled :)



LLR- Aspirations for your personal and team goals for this season at Howard ? 


JDA- For my personal goal, I plan to end my freshman year with a 4.0 on the dean's list and pay off the rest of my tuition so I can continue attending Howard! For the upcoming year, I hope to join more community service-based events and clubs. I hope to secure the position of HUWRC’s community service event chair this election and join Model UN to further my understanding of foreign policy and debate (Model UN is an international relations and political club of debate and discussion). Someday I even hope to run for the presidency of HUWRC and continue my journey as a leader in the rugby community as I did with my old team back home! This season, my goal is to make the traveling roster and eventually, the nationals traveling roster because I truly believe HUWRC can stand on business as the underdogs and take the win! Next year I hope to secure more playing time on the field and will continue to explore new positions until there is a need to specialize. Lastly, I hope to develop a unique playing style and master a signature move to distinguish myself in the rugby community.





If you want to follow Julissa and her journey or reach out to her, give her a follow on Instagram- @julissa_ess


*spanish translation coming soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment