Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Forward For the People

When the 2031 and 2033 rugby world cups happen, and when the USA eagles run onto the pitch I want you all to remember a name, Susanna Guardado. Susanna is not only starting new rugby programs but is changing lives, impacting communities and bring people together. Through the single school rugby club at Overfelt High school in San Jose, CA and now with Lanu Olin, a club aimed at acceptance for minorities in a sport that's still mostly played by whites in a multi culture city. The reason why I say remember her name is because one day you'll hear a players name said during the broadcast of the world cup and when they mention the city of San Jose as their hometown, know that they came from playing for one of Susannas clubs.


I truly hope you all enjoy reading this Q&A , it's truly a meaningful one for me, it's a example of what is currently wrong with the sport but yet still what is beautiful about it. My hope is that this inspires some change and also inspires others to go and replicate what is taking place in the 408.

*La traducción al español llegará este fin de semana


LLR- Since we last spoke you have added some more hats to your collection, can you share how many and which?

S- Uufff, yes. Hats that fit and some that I'm trying to grow into.
Aside from wearing the mother & grandmother hat, I am currently the director & founder of Lanu Olin Rugby, head coach of 30 high school girls, coordinator-advisor for our first high school boys team, assistant Coach at SJSU women's rugby club and the bridge between the Mexico National Rugby team for both male and female potential players in the U.S.


LLR- How has the development of the Royals gone over the last 2 years?


S- The development has been great. Our Royal program has grown immensely. Our first year, we had about 18-22 for Fall 7s, by Spring we grew in numbers between 24-26. Our second year, Fall 7s we had roughly 26 players and by Spring we had 1: 15s team, 1: 10s team and 1 middle school team. We are currently in year three and had a scare because our numbers had dropped during Fall 7s to about 20 players. I thought, this is the year to restart the program. But I was wrong, currently, our numbers are so high it's kind of hard to handle. I currently oversee; 30 high school girls, 18 girls middle school girls and a boys varsity team...making it 73 players under my direction.


Girls middle school group photo with Harlequins players.

it's overwhelmingly amazing!

As for the coaching staff...only, myself and my husband Jose Avalos are certified L200 coaches making it hard to juggle all 5 teams. Of course, we have our volunteer coaches that help us manage but being the only certified staff makes it so much harder to control 5 teams.




LLR- Can you explain what Lanu Olin is and how that came to be?


S- Lanu is the term for Color in polynesian.

Olin is the Nahuatl (aztec language) word for Movement.

Our team's name means the "Color of Movement"

This came about because being a minority in a sport that is predominantly played by whites in NorCal, we found ourselves fighting to fit in, fighting for access and fighting to earn the respect of the Rugby community. I remember our first year we experienced some racial slurs from players and adults. Phrases like "oh there's that mexican team again" , "ugh, we are gona play against those mexican again", "What is this soccer?, of course they kick, they are the mexican team" or my ultimate favorite from a premier level coach "oh, well there's nothing I can do about that" when reporting racial discrimination.



Lanu Olin is the Color of Movement, so instead of teaching our players to hate or retaliate, we teach them to be proud of those slurs or comments -to take pride because the other teams feared our game, and when people fear, hate occurs.



LLR- Being one of only a few girls rugby programs in the south bay let alone the whole bay area, is there more that NorCal Rugby could be doing?


S- I'm not really sure what goes on in board meetings or if RNC has committees fighting for this, but there is more that can be done. I mean look at girls flag football?... how is it that they are now a CIF sport but rugby is not? I'm not saying the RNC is not doing anything about it but we also don't know what has been done? I've spoken to a few veteran coaches in NorCal about this topic and all I hear is how they have tried to get their boys teams recognized as a CIF sport but nothing further than that.
On the other hand, I noticed that 2 of the Rugby by laws need to be revisited and rewritten, in specific the age group bylaws. For instance U10 & U12 are coed, a bylaw that should now change as this bylaw was established when no girls/or not enough girls would play. But now, more and more girls are building an interest in playing rugby. For example, I have 18 girls competing in MS level matches but in reality, if we look at my rosters and compare them to the bylaws, I truly only have 4-5 MS players due to their age. My MS teams range from 11-14 years old. Here are my 2 observations about why there's not many youth girls teams; 1) parents don't want their daughters playing coed in a tackling sport and 2) girls start developing physically at this age making it uncomfortable to play with boys, especially during that time of the month. I think if these bylaws change, it will bring a lot more girls to play rugby at a younger age. Did you know that back in 1996-98 I was the only girl in my MS soccer team, in fact I was the only girl in the entire section playing? There was an annual MS tournament that I was not allowed to go to because I was a girl...and as time went by and girls soccer grew, the bylaws changed to meet the need.


We should look at the non-profit "Girls Rugby Inc" in San Diego and Oregon, their numbers are great. That comes to show that young girls will play rugby.

I mean look at EPA, Wolverines and Broncos (to name a few) having U10/U12 all girls teams-- it needs to change




Susannas daughters on left and right, both playing for SJSU and UCSC

LLR- Is having the PR7s being located in San Jose as a stop on their series been beneficial for player recruitment or getting more players out to your programs?

S- I think PR7s is trying their best to gain exposure of the sport in San Jose.

But to answer your question, I haven't seen much of the recruitment happening at a high school level like I have seen at the college/adult levels. I feel as though there should be a HS developmental pathway like Mexico has. Or if there is, I haven't heard of it therefore, it hasn't helped my program.





LLR- What key players, boys or girls, should we all and colleges be keeping an eye on in the coming years?

S- From GHS: Monica Rivas (11th), Vianney Mamea (10th), Lillyen Rios (11th), Naiomi Robles (11th), Siriana Tautolo (10th)

From GMS: Lonise Tautolo (6th), Fautino Tautolo (6th), Cruz Fiaui (6th), Dominique Kilgore (8th)

From BHS: Leko Niuafe (8th), Lino Eti (11th)



LLR- Would having rugby recognized as a varsity sport by the CCS be what the sport needs to excel in the area?

S- Yes, but that will only help change with the administration part of things, for example, funding will help the sport, access to facilities in the school must be equality shared amongst all sports, recruitment should not be an issue and a real-certified coaches can lead the team rather than a credentialed staff who is not L200 certified.

BUT for a real change, we need to start with the bylaws of U10/U12 from being coed to all girls teams/competitions and change the MS bylaw basing it off of MS enrollment rather than age (13 & 14). If you really think about it, MS age groups start at 11 years old, anything younger is elementary. Again, these bylaws were created around a model that cartered to how boys played/developed in the past.





LLR- Some previous student athletes have now graduated and moved on, how is the relationship been with them and the current players? Is there any coming back and assisting or offering advice going on between the two groups?


S- Oh how I miss my former athletes.

Relationships could be better. I mean, I still keep in touch with a handful---in fact, a few come out to help with sideline touch during our home games and some facetime me often sharing their college-rugby life. During home games I noticed that my current players who played with the alumni have a comradery that was created through rugby. It's a beautiful thing to see.

Though my alumni do not come back to help at practices, we maintain connections through IG and check in every so often.



LLR- In the next 5 years, what would you like to see the rugby programs be like?


S- This is a beautiful yet hard question because I have dreams for our youth and I have high expectations for this program. First, I would like to have all my volunteers certified so that we can have 2-3 coaches per team to focus on specialties. Second, I would love to expand to a youth level club so that the siblings of current players can play as well as more east side San Jose kidos. Third, I would love to have a team van. Weekly we are constantly struggling to transport our youth because many of our families don't have the luxury to be off on the weekends-majority work. Fourth, is to become a 501c3 program so that funding can be easier to come in. Yearly we are getting creative to fundraise but catering to 72 players and non-paid volunteers; money becomes something we must focus on aside from coaching. And lastly, I would love 75% of my players to have pathway connections; whether it's for college, premier or nationally. I want to make sure I have secured connections across the globe so that my players have access, better yet, have a choice.
but of course, my ultimate and my personal goal is... for my very own children (ages 3 & 8) to like and play rugby hahahaha!



LLR- Final words to the rugby community and also those kids who have not yet joined in on the experience?


S- Rugby is a beautiful sport. It is a sport where you discover yourself or reinvent yourself. In rugby we welcome all shapes and sizes, there is a spot for you. Whatever your weakness is, together we can find your strengths. But of course, it's not easy. You have to put in the work.

Get ready to make life-long friends because in rugby you will sweat together, cry together, bleed together and ruck together!


Lanu Olin Instagram-> Lanu_olin
Overfelt High Instagram-> Royal Rugby

Susanna Guardado,- coachguards@gmail.com

*spanish translation coming this weekend
La traducción al español llegará este fin de semana

No comments:

Post a Comment